Hydrate and re-hydrate –Why is it so vital?
- The purpose of fluids is simple: restore the fluids (and electrolytes) lost in sweat. How do you know if your fluid tank is low? One way is to monitor the amount and color of your urine. If you are excreting a large amount of light-colored urine, you’re probably hydrated. If it is dark and being produced in smaller amounts, you are probably dehydrated.
- The body is 60-65% water and performs many vital functions
1. Delivery of fuel to muscles
2. Lubricate & cushion joints
3. Shock absorption for the spine & brain
4. Regulate temperature
- To stay hydrated, consume 16 oz. of water 2 hours prior to start of activity, then ½ hour prior consume 8 oz. of fluid combined with water & carbohydrates (Gatorade) then drink about 20 ounces of fluid for every pound lost during activity. Hydration will stabilize the blood volume and prevent muscle cramping.
- Keep in mind that there are factors that can increase the amount of fluids lost. They include exercising at high altitude, working out in hot weather, clothing choice, the amount of sweating (some people sweat more than others), and the nature of your exercise. Athletes who participate in endurance and high-intensity sports may lose more sweat and need to drink more to offset the loss of fluids.
- Many athletes enter their training sessions dehydrated. Making sure you enter your session hydrated will help to improve overall performance.
- Occurs in a very short time, especially when exercising in hot weather.
- Fluids should be consumed before, during, and after
- Easy way to determine hydration, check the color of the urine (clear-pale yellow = Hydration)
- After a long workout, it can take 24-48 hours to replace fluids lost
- The body being hydrated is an important part of foam rolling
- Tendons, ligaments, and muscles all need to slide across each other with minimal friction.
- Without adequate water the tissues cannot slide freely, over time this will lead to less and less movement and increase the chances for injury.
- In order for foam rolling to be most effective, make sure to hydrate before and after rolling*If you are out in the heat and participating in heavy exercise longer than 60 minutes, or are engaged in high-intensity exercise for a shorter period, and if you feel underfueled or dehydrated to start with, choose a sports drink that will provide you with not only fluid, but also electrolytes and carbohydrates.
Post-Ortho Sports Rehab FREE Evaluation—>>>
Follow on Facebook—>>> https://www.facebook.com/coachhos/
Subscribe on YoutTube—>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuy6mBKvV1SehMKvALdcNjg/featured?view_as=subscriber